If you are a young carer or know a young carer who needs support you can:
- Call us – 020 8356 4800
- Email us – firstname.lastname@example.org
To view our term time programme, click here (programme last updated January 2023).
Here at Young Hackney, we recognise the hard work that goes into being a young carer. We are committed to supporting you along the journey whilst helping you enjoy your childhood.
Many young people don’t see themselves as young carers.
However, if you find yourself looking after a family member, taking care of housework, translating and/or taking on other responsibilities, then we want to help.
The Young Hackney: Young Carers service is available for children and young people in Hackney aged 6-19, or up to 25 years if a young person has a special educational need and/or a disability.
We recognise that all caring experiences are different therefore we work together to create a personalised plan for you and your family.
This plan could include:
- Opportunities to take part in fun, free activities
- Trips exclusively for you and other young carers (designed by Young Carers)
- Spaces to meet and connect with other young carers
- Dedicated one-to-one support with a Young Hackney worker
- Support groups in school to allow you to get the most out of your education
- Advocacy in knowing your rights
Other services for Young Carers
- Renaissance Foundation runs a three-year bespoke programme for Young Carers aged 13 – 16 which is focused on strengthening resilience, developing soft skills and raising ambitions.
- Hackney and City Carers Centre offer a programme for Young Adult Carers aged 16-25 called ‘Thrive and Care’. Visit their website to get in touch or for more information.
- YCDT (The Young Carers Development Trust) is a national charity which tackles the lack of opportunity experienced by many young carers due to their caring responsibilities. You can find out more about the projects they offer on their website.
- Young Adult Carers (aged 18+) who are registered with Carers First can access twice-monthly online support Zoom groups. Contact Jenny.Goodson@carersfirst.org.uk or Yvonne.Playle@carersfirst.org.uk for more information. The support groups take place:
- 1st Tuesday of the month at 6pm to 7pm
- 3rd Monday of the month at 7pm to 8pm
Information and Advice
- The Children’s Society website has lots of great advice and information for Young Carers.
- You can find a simplified guide to the Children and Families Act 2014 here: The young person’s guide to the Children and Families Act 2014
- For Young Adult Carers aged 18+, here is more information about the Carers Card and Carers Allowance