We at Young Hackney are increasingly getting more and more reports around vaping as an issue among young people and within our schools, so here are some quick facts you need to know:
- Vapes are generally not permitted within school – ensure that you are aware of school policy surrounding vaping.
- Vapes are recommended for people who wish to stop smoking, not for young people.
- These products are intended for adults only.
- Vapes are not recommended for non-smokers.
- The legal age to buy vapes in the UK is 18 years old. The law which made it illegal to sell e-cigarettes or vape juice to anyone under 18 came into force on 1 October 2015. Anyone under the age of 18 cannot legally purchase any vaping equipment, including liquids and devices, therefore should not be able to vape before this age.
- What we do not know is just as important as what we do know… Vaping contains unregulated chemicals whose long term effects are unknown.
- Breathing in anything may have side effects.
- Vaping contains nicotine which can have some negative effects on brain development in young people.
- Nicotine is addictive as it affects the “rewarding part of the brain,” and can cause negative implications such as financial and health issues.
- It can make you feel irritable, restless and lose concentration
- Dry mouth
- Shortness of breath
- Mouth and throat irritation
If you would like support with cutting down or quitting vaping, we would like to help. The Young Hackney Substance Misuse Service is open to anyone aged under 25. It’s free and confidential. We can give you advice and support if you’re worried about your own usage of vapes, or if you’re worried that a friend or family member has a problem with vaping.
Further reading for professionals
If you would like more information, please email YHSMS@hackney.gov.uk.